Sunday, February 05, 2012

Thank you, thoughts, and unglamorous crafting



First off, thank you everyone for your comments on my last post! Especially those of you who chimed in and said that you've experienced something similar. Because we all know our own perspective the best, I sometimes wonder whether these "truth"s that I uncover for myself are ones that are universal, or merely unique to myself. I would like to believe that there is something universally regenerative and fulfilling about creativity, crafting, meditative activities, physical activity, and that they are all connected, and judging from your comments I think this could be the case.

Of course, it could also be that those people who find joy in crafting may be more likely to find joy in cooking or walking, for example, so that these connections are only true for a subset of the general population (that's the epidemiologist in me speaking!) I'd like to believe that every person on this planet can find peace and fulfillment in some activity or another (and, my bias showing through, hopefully not just through the television!). Whether or not that involves creative and meditative activities, still trying to find those answers.

Also, I just want to say "thank you" to gypsybiscuit for delurking and leaving such a kind comment. It's really a privilage to know that people continue to stop by this blog, especially since it has evolved through the years and thus may have evolved away from what initially brought you here. The generosity of spirit that you stay because you like the person behind the blog and not just the crafts they crank out or the politically charged words that they write, that to me makes you the best readers in the world!

On to some unglamorous crafting ...


I recently joined a film cooperative and have been helping out on a couple short film projects, working on set design and coordinating wardrobes. Above is a tee that I stenciled. "Custom tee shirts? No problem, I can make you that!" followed by a mad scramble to deliver. It's actually been a ton of fun, I'm learning so much about films, and 'tis often a pretty good group of people working together on set. I love projects and working with people on creative pursuits, so this has been perfect. Although I have to say, when I was thinking of doing wardrobes I initially thought more like, period pieces, dresses from the 50s or Downton Abbey etc., and not "uh ... trying to figure out how to dress 12 guys so they all look distinctive." I'm sorry, what do men usually wear? (Thanks to Rita and Ali and my brother Michael and my friend Rudy for input + help!)


Here is a shirt I bought from an Etsy seller which was so, so cute in the photos, but unfortunately the way the inverted box pleat was positioned (left photo), I felt like it screamed "hello, did you know I have breasts?" So I unpicked the stitching to open up the pleat, resewed the button, and 3 minutes later have this fabulously girly blouse that I will actually wear. It's a beautiful blouse and wonderfully made, so I look forward to continuing to support this artist.


My Irelande sweater. I made the original to pattern but found it too short (why did I think the Cascade 220 was going to grow after blocking? It's never grown on me before). Kept having to yank it down so I didn't wear it all too often. So I grabbed the leftover yarn and added 1" of seed stitch at the hem. Perfect! So tempted to do the same at the cuffs as they are a tad short, but that would mean buying another skein of yarn just to use 25 yards. We'll see. It's workable as is.

And top photo, swapped out some boring buttons on a coat for sparklier, more vintage-feeling ones from Joann's. If I get crazy I'll shorten the sleeves to petite length, add a buckle to the belt tie to make it a proper belt, and unpick the hem to add horsehair braid to give it more of an A-line flare. Maybe not though.

Finally, more colorwork scheming is in the works. I'd love to make a vest. This would involve steeks. I am living dangerously and going patternless, using a colorwork chart improvised off a sweater on Ravelry (I know, it's so shameful but it means buying an entire Interweave magazine and paying for shipping, plus I wouldn't actually be using the pattern as it is a full-sweater fair isle sized for a gent. Seeing my fascination with fair isle, I'll likely buy a pattern directly from the designer at a future date. I'm not sure she even gets any royalties off this design anymore since its from awhile back.) Now why do I think I'll be able to figure out shaping, design, and how to do steeks on my very own???


Trying to figure out how to pattern the colors. I keep flip flopping over which combination I like best, except I've tried out the mustard-on-tan represented by the second from left and that's just not going to work. What do you think? Which would you go with?

2 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

Ah - "sensible" crafting! It feels so much better when it's done! I really really need to shorten a couple of skirts, but it feels like such a dull idea... even though I know I will be able to wear said skirts afterwards!
It took me a moment to realise the four colourways were all the same design, but in different colour combinations. I think I prefer the furtherest left one - it seems "familiar". The others are more unusual to my eye... but that doesn't mean they are wrong! ;)
And steeking by internet is the way to go!!!

gypsybiscuit said...

Awww! :-)