Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Stashbusting scarf

This is the yarn equivalent of a scrappy patchwork scarf ... a random stripe scarf! Perfect for using up all those odd balls of yarn leftover from other projects. Completely and totally inspired by a scarf my e. twin gave me, I am not afraid to admit, but with a bit more texture and monochromatic with lots of neutrals, of course, because that's apparently how I layer colors:

Knit lengthwise [I think I cast on 200 stitches because I like long, narrow scarves. If I was to do it again I'd probably cast on an addition 25 to 40 stitches, but that's just me. Also bear in mind that I'm about 5'2", so not very tall.] This is one of those creations my mom declared 'Ew, don't do that!' i.e. that's REALLY ugly Jessica! when she saw me knitting it, and when I was finished she decided she wanted one too. It's not the first time that's happened :-P.

A close-up of the yarn. The white novelty yarn gives it a lot of great texture. Unfortunately I got it from Michaels 2 years ago and haven't been able to find it since [um, but I've only looked in one Michaels, so you may have better luck!], so I think that's the end of these scarves for me. One 50g ball had just enough for 2 scarves.



It's so funny. I've been looking for Flea Market Fancy fabric for ages now. Of course I only become smitten like, what, 3 years after the fabric came out? This is a terrible habit of mine. So anyways. I was poking around the other day and somehow came across this post someone had written about the exact same topic and linked to someone else's post on the exact same topic and in the comments I found a phone number to a LQS in Wisconsin that will mail you out your fabric and an invoice, and you just mail back a check. Sweet! I'm so excited for it to arrive! It's been a total splurge, I think I'm going to have to put off getting more Park Slope in honor of Denise Schmidt ...

Sorry that was random but seriously, it's been 2 years of searching on and off. Also on my list? This realy great blue and green Japanese tree fabric I can find in other colorways but not the one I want, and this green handwriting fabric. Those may be lost causes.

No comments: