Friday, March 12, 2010

Lady, that is One. Long. Scarf.


Presenting ... the indulgent impulse Madeleine Tosh sock yarn purchase. Worked up in the wonderful Clapotis pattern, which, as you can see, I made last summer for Kat and chose again for this yarn to highlight the wonderful variegated colors. I swear I have never gotten as many comments on my knitting projects as I got on this one, this yarn is so beautiful. Because I used sock yarn on larger needles, this scarf will work well from fall into spring.

I knit this on size 5 needles, one ball of sock yarn until it ran out. I wanted a long and skinny scarf, but I have to say, damn, I might have miscalculated. After I blocked it, I realized, holy crap, either this yarn GROWS like crazy or the pattern grows like nobody's business.

Wound once around the neck:

Twice:

Thrice:

Kind of a double-wound knot:


If I was to do it again, I would use a smaller needle and do an extra width repeat and then not make it so long.

I knit this during class under the table, I knit it on the bus to and from class, I knit it as a break between assignments in my apartment. At one point, I remember knitting on the M2 and chatting with John, and it interested me that he asked why I was dropping the purled stitches. I guess I never expect non-knitters to pick up on these details. Then again, he's kind of an observant and inquisitive guy.

Continuing on in my campaign to convert the world to crafting, one person at a time ...

4 comments:

Zonnah said...

I love that you knitted in class :) I used to knit at work, lol.
I like long scarfs, you can wrap it around your hands when it is cold outside.

Antoinette said...

Lady, that is one long scarf! But I like long knit scarves -- very versatile.

Anonymous said...

I have given you a bloggers award. Check my blog
http://www.fiberartbyruthanne.blogspot.com

Grace said...

I think your Clapotis is amazingly beautiful. I haven't had a chance to use any Madeline Tosh yarns yet (even though I have some stashed), and seeing your post is really inspiring me to get a skein out!