Sunday, March 07, 2010

Sweater #4: Mrs. Darcy Cardigan

Now that New England is teasing us with sunlight that looks like spring but still feels like winter, I thought I'd show off my latest handknit, the Mrs. Darcy Cardigan with Wakenda modifications:


Have been wanting a navy blue sweater for, like, three years or something. Not that I've been looking very hard [obviously], but it was always on the list. And as beautiful and feminine as most of the Mrs. Darcy cardigans have been on Ravelry, and as much as I have loved them, when I saw the pattern it seemed like it could work well in navy, you know, one of those 'will go with anything' type of knits.

Of course, now that I see it, it strikes me as awfully conservative and formal. But - duh! - isn't that what navy blue is all about? So to compensate I tend to wear this with my giant vintage yellow flower pin to lighten up the mood a bit. I do love the pattern. Given my apparent penchant for knitting doubles of everything, maybe I'll go and make another one of these in a more feminine color. I also agree with whichever Raveler said that the original pattern would make a cute vest. If I actually wore vests, I would contemplate one in red ...

I chose these little square buttons from Windsor Button. Such a fantastic store! They also had a skein of this incredibly luscious sock yarn that I picked up on impulse ... I'll show that one off soon, too. It's much more in the vein of spring. *pats self on back for some ability for seasonal planning re: handknits.*

4 comments:

Zonnah said...

That is a very cute sweater, and I love the shirt you are wearing!

Sigrid said...

I really love this. The yarn seems to have some slight color variation which makes it more interesting than just a solid blue.

Jodi Wade said...

I love that cardigan! It looks great. I wish I could knit that well.

Jodi Wade said...

I just went to check out the pattern for it and it is no longer available! :(