Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blouse #4 // Purple Flowers (Simplicity 3835 blouse the second)

Proof that I still sew. Summer Essentials Sew-Along #2.


Down and dirty details:

*Cut back 10, front 12 again
*Took 1" off side waist seams for more fitted look, resulting in the need to insert a zipper in the back
*Took 3/4" off the top of the pattern to compensate for not making an elastic casing
*Self-made bias tape, 1/2" wide. Because I wanted to showcase the floral, I chose a coordinating linen from the local remnants fabric shop.
*Blouse generally inspired by this.


Question: how do you all do it when it comes to bias binding and gathers? There were an unholy number of four lettered words spilling about as I wrangled this thing together.

Next time, I will insert longer than a 7" zipper in the back. It's OK to get on, but I do a funny dance every time I try to get this off ...

4 comments:

Zonnah said...

I love this! I wish I could help with the question but I have no idea.

Minnado said...

I really like this top and the binding is super cute. I was interested to see how you altered the pattern as it's one I have used several times. I too am a bit clueless about helping with your question though!

Ritapizza said...

cute! omg love the bias trim! do you "bind" it like a quilt?

Ali said...

Hooray! It looks even better in person :). The color combo is great and the bias trim makes it that much more special.

I was just reading about cutting out two different sizes on front and back and I hadn't realized you did it with this. I might try that sometime as sometimes it feels like I should have more hump in the back and the fabric sort of emanates ;)