Thursday, November 16, 2006

When friends and crafting mix ...

... lots of fun results!


We sort of exploded a mess across the apartment - the ironing board with wires going all over the couch and the cutting board sort of blocking the front door, both are not pictured here.
I'm being boring and making more tote bags. Will the madness ever stop??? Um, probably. At a yet-to-be-determined date.
Hidden under the big mess is our WIP of yarn squares for the eventual blanket for donation. I'm awfully excited about this, as we've already got a lap blanket going and Kathleen took home some yarn to contribute to the efforts. My aunt used to work at a nursing home in the area and she told us they'd probably love some blankets. If I get really crazy maybe I'll make a couple quilts to round out our efforts. Hm ...

Kathleen was a busy busy bee. This ...



became this:




Times two. To hold chocolate-y yumminess. We swapped a sheet of brownies for mini Butterfingers ... a relic of Halloween at her apartment. Butterfingers always make me think of my grandparent's home in Fresno. They used to have a metal cart in a corner of the dining room, on which stood a glass bowl that was always filled with candies whenever my brother and I visited. I think my sweet tooth has somewhat diminished as I've gotten older [so sad, *tear tear*], but back in the day I could quite pack away those little sweets. Anyways, that's probably the only context in which I've ever really seen Butterfingers, so ... one [bag] for nostalgia, grandma and grandpa. Even the sizing is perfect, just how they used to have them.



A woman after my own heart. Sarah's making this out of her scraps from projects past. You know, those 1" strips you can't quite bear to throw away cuz you know they'll be good for something at some point ...

Aso, I love her sewing machine. It used to belong to her grandmother. Sarah says her dad loves hearing it clack away when she quilts at home because it reminds him of his youth. So poignant! I love stories like that! A little bit of history, wrapped up in such elegance.

Emie learned how to knit a cable pattern this time around ... exciting stuff ... she brought the dark green yarn she's had around for awhile. In college some of her guy friends bought her some yarn for her birthday - "we know you knit, here you go!" - a kindof dark forest green that fit them more than her, an assortment of crochet hooks stuck into the ball, and satisfied smiles. Really, boys are just too cute sometimes.

No comments: